Thursday, 23 June 2016

For the Love of Roses



Oftentimes you will hear someone say they love roses. They may simply say it, as if words  are just for the purpose of speaking,  not because of how they truly feel. We think if someone gives us roses it is an expression of love or fondness. The gift of rose could be given out of tradition rather than from the heart.

 We want to stop and smell the roses because no other scent can compare or bring such pleasure. Sometimes lives can be so hectic and busy roses are forgotten, pleasure is forgotten. Fun? All the good things we know in life can be forgotten due to deadlines, work schedules, life. Life is not always easy sometimes it is hard, but roses should never be forgotten.

Poetry and songs that touch our very soul are written about roses. But when people say they love roses do they really mean it or is it just said to impress? These are empty words without meaning. People who love roses love them to the depth of their heart. To them a rose is much more than just a flower.

Most people who grow roses grow them because they love roses to the depth of their souls and they want to express that love to the world.  It is that love produces many rose blossoms.  Their love of roses which bring enjoyment not only to themselves but to all those around them. I have much admiration for those who truly love roses, some can express more love with one flower than many can with just words. They tend their gardens as they would children or pets, and mourn the loss of a rose bush like the loss of a loved one. It is a love that many claim, but few posess.

To some a rose bush is nothing more than a shrub and is easily replaceable. You simply go to the nearest store, pick up the first one you see, and put it in the ground. A flowering shrub that is hardly noticed.  The rose planted in many yards is nothing more than just another plant.  Some just want to brag and say they have a rose growing in their yard. Roses bring so much beauty into the world I cringe to realize they are regarded in such a manner. Roses are worthy of so much more.

After knowing what rose rosette is, and being well informed, those not digging up rose rosette infected roses are not expressing a love for roses.  That is something else besides loving roses. What it is, I don't even pretend to know.  Is it a hatred of roses, hatred for people? Is it disrespect for our national floral emblem? My desire to want to stop the spread of rose rosette is out of real love for roses. It would be a sad world with fewer roses.

Because I love roses I had to refrain myself from indulging in the many sales that happened over the past month. I too had to forgo picking out the perfect rose for mother's day. Not out of budget restraints, but out of love. I love the rose much too much to put it in harms way. While I try every method possible to protect my roses, there are no guarantees. Rose rosette disease is close by, and I know the odds are stacked against me. My love for my roses may not be enough.

I started a facebook page. I hope others will stop by and share their stories and experiences about rose rosette. The link is here. Hope to see you there!

1 comment: